Pages

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Jammy!

So, here I am, just sat down after making some more gorgeous raspberry jam.  I think I have to admit that it really is probably my favourite - but only if I've made it myself - I don't really like the shop bought ones.  I have been busy collecting the raspberries on an almost daily basis now, as there are so many canes that are just groaning with ripening fruit.  That doesn't bother me though, as I will happily pick and process these gorgeous jewels into anything I can possibly think of.  I tend to make jam firstly, then when I've probably made at least 5 jars, I will then go on to making a cordial for the kids, they absolutely love it, and I firmly believe that it's much better for them, as its freshly made, only lives a maximum of a week in the fridge [it never gets longer than that, as they are like vultures!] and there are no nasties in it.  I will then move on to making vinegars and liqueurs.  These are some of my favourites too, as they can be stored indefinitely in the dry store cupboard, and mature away to their hearts content.
At the very least, out of all these lovely fruits, a raspberry saucy sponge is made.  This is usually made on a Sunday afternoon, when everyone is chilled out and finished with Sunday lunch.  Then I get this out of the oven, and everyone's faces light up.  As I dish into bowls, and dribble with steaming thick vanilla custard, I see that these little beauties are so very welcome, and are very much appreciated in our house!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. You have certainly been busy. I think Raspberry vinegar is great, I have to buy mine though as I only planted my raspberry bushes this year. So it will be home made raspberry vinegar for me next year.

    ReplyDelete